color flourish

Friday, August 20, 2010

Birthday Bash

Another birthday for this harvest baby has come and gone.   The day I was born my dad went home from the hospital and finished combining.  Growing up on a farm, then marrying a farmer means that each birthday I've had has been during the busy harvest time.  Depending on where the guys are cutting, my birthday dinner is either here at home, or out in the field somewhere, unless they get rained out.  :)   This year Amy planned a special surprise for me.  The day before, she called when I was in town, wondering if I had a couple of ingredients.  I had a couple of clues to the mystery dinner!  All I knew ahead of time were Sprite, white wine and strawberry jello.  hmmmm.....!!!

I was made to feel very special with many posts from Face Book friends, calls, cards and gifts.  Thank you to you all.  I spent the morning with Natalie while Amy ran to town.  What fun!  My first birthday as a Nana!  Of course every time I grabbed the camera to take a pic of her standing under the table (so cute) she saw me and crawled over before I could take the picture.  We had a fun time playing and reading her favorite books.

When I headed across the yard for supper, I was surprised to see Warren's parents, Harvey & Gladys, were out from Glasgow for the occasion!  Soon the guys were in from the field, and the mystery menu was revealed.  The Sprite and strawberry jello were for a yummy rhubarb slush punch - a bit tart and very tasty.  The white wine was for one of my favorites - shrimp scampi!  She also had pasta and green beans.  Gladys made me a lemon birthday cake.
 Natalie & Amy made a special card for my fridge.

Speaking of that birthday cake, Warren was Warren.  Need I say more?

Good thing the fire truck is nearby!
 Natalie enjoyed the cake too.

After supper it was back to harvest and I went out to ride in the combine with Warren for a while - a birthday tradition. 


2 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun birthday celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would we do without Warren in the family? Loved the blow torch! You blew the candles out a lot faster than he lit them. Way to go, Dee.
    You're a great farmer's wife! Your sis in KC

    ReplyDelete