color flourish

Monday, September 7, 2009

Happy Labor Day!

For those of you who have the day off, enjoy!  Unless we get rained out, we'll be harvesting today.   The weather radar looks weird today.  A long, yellow streak, but who knows if it will hit the fields where they are cutting.  Friday night they moved up north to Tony's land.  This area got a couple of rains in June when it was at the critical stage and its yielding better than what we have cut earlier.  I'm so glad.  This is the 4th year that Tony has farmed this land, and he has had some not so good crops up there.  Its much different land than other we farm.  It has gumbo soil, so when it rains, you tear out of there as fast as you can or you won't get out.  The dirt sticks to everything when it gets wet.  You can grow inches in just a few steps.  There are also some pretty big hills, which makes it interesting for farming.   Here you can see them coming up the hill.

 
Last night we had a bunch of friends over for barbecue.  They just threw a 50th Anniversary celebration for their parents on Saturday night.  We went to school with all 3 siblings, and it was great fun to spend some relaxing time visiting and catching up with their families.  There were 14 of us total.  They were our guinea pigs as we tried out a couple of new barbecue recipes.  One was a Chicken Cordon Blue (yes, I know that's not the "official" bleu, but its bbq - and thus, blue).  You season and stuff the chicken breasts, tie them up and sear on the hot grill.  Then you put them on indirect heat and smoke them.  Warren found a recipe for brisket that is stuffed with bacon and onions he has been wanting to try, so that was on the menu too, along with some country style ribs, broccoli salad, fresh fruit salad, bread, and brownies ala mode.  yum!

1 comment:

  1. Nice combining photos. I didn't take any that I wnat to even post this year. They aren't bad, just I don't want to remember what a horrid harvest it was. I am just glad that we are done. I can almost smell that chicken cooking. Makes one want to fire up the grill. You guys are sure enjoying that smoker, aren't you.

    ReplyDelete