color flourish

Friday, September 11, 2009

What was I thinking?

Yesterday I decided to use some larger cucumbers for relish, and then thought I would make some zucchini relish while I was at it too.  Turned out I didn't have all the spices I needed, but Gladys, my MIL, was in town and would get them.  So instead of getting the 2 relishes made yesterday, I made them today, along with the final day of the 8 Day Pickles, and picking corn.  Busy day!  Here are the results.

The 8 Day Pickles are a favorite of Warren's, and I grew up with them too.  They are sweet and crunchy and yummy with a "Sunday Dinner" kind of meal.  I haven't made them in probably 20 years, so thought I'd give them a try.    The first 4 days you pour boiling water over the whole cucumbers.  Day 5 you slice the cucumbers and make a syrup, then pour the syrup over the slices.  Day 6 & 7 you drain the syrup, boil it, and pour it over the slices again.  Day 8 you boil the syrup, add the slices and bring to a boil, then put in jars and seal.  Viola!  You're done!

 
The guys are moving home from Tony & Amy's farm.  Here are a few pictures of their harvest.  Part of the land is very hilly.  Who needs an amusement park ride when you have this?
OK, I know its hard to tell just how hilly it is on pictures, but trust me!  You have to hang on!  
Amy was able to come up and drive grain cart one day.  BTW, have we mentioned how THRILLED we are to be grandparents in just a few weeks?  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment