color flourish

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Tailgate Dinner

I still think tailgate dinners are kind of fun.  But then I don't have to do them every day.  Usually I only do 2-3 per harvest.  They are a lot of work, but it gives the guys a break from sandwich lunches, they appreciate a hot, home cooked meal, and I get to see what they are up to.  If I don't get out there to ride along and visit, I don't have much chance to catch up with the guys.  We all put in such long hours during harvest that we are dragging in the morning and late at night when they finally get home.  Nobody has the energy then to have big conversations.  Yesterday when Amy and I took dinner out to the guys, we were able to set up by the bins and buildings instead of in the field.  Thats always much nicer than the hot, dusty field with wheat stubble scratching your bare legs.  lol  Here's a couple of pictures of our dinner.  Tony and Casey were unloading a trailer and Warren kept an eye on the bin.



I went out to pick beans yesterday evening and got a good start.  About 1/3 way down the row, it started raining big drops.  Just enough to get the plants too wet to pick.  So the beans went in the fridge, and I'll head out again soon to go see if they are dry enough to pick.  I plan on canning a few jars today, and hope to finish my recipe cards.  Once I am caught up on those, I will be able to get Tony's baby pictures out again and work on that.  My goal is to get his album and our family one caught up to his first birthday by the time their baby is born in November.  I am hopelessly behind!

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog, Dee! Great job.

    Reading about and seeing pictures of harvest brings back such fun memories of growing up on a wheat farm. There's nothing quite like harvest time. It's a lot of work and I know you are get really tired, but I'm so glad we still have farmers in the family. I'm still hoping one of these years soon we can get our Arkansas grandkids up on your farm. Keagan and Cayden would absolutely love it. Judy

    ReplyDelete