We have the most beautiful sunsets in the world here in NE Montana. Warren took this on his cell phone last night. The little pointed thing in the background is the tiny Grain Lutheran Church. Its an interesting church. Just a few neighborhood families attend, and their pastor travels 30 miles from town to minister to them. We farm the "church quarter" nearby. Speaking of farming, the guys had a bit of a rough evening last night. They traded for a different combine a couple of weeks ago, and the header on it broke down last night. The frame under the center canvas broke, so its pretty major. We hope that once the boss gets to work this morning, they will send out another one so we can keep going. Other than that, they are making progress. They are at the Nelson Half, which is the last farm before they either head up north to Tony's land, or come home to cut around here if Tony's isn't ready yet. Its been a weird year weather-wise. This spring was really cold, and the crops were slow to come up and grow. We had hot, very dry weather in June, which really stunted the crops, making them quite short. August brought cool, wet weather (June?). Usually we are finished with harvest by Labor Day, but this year it will be later. I did get the beans picked yesterday morning, and ended up with 11 pints. I added some summer savory to the jars before I canned them. Mom used to do this, I think. Its a wonderful herb with beans. Warren isn't crazy about it, but I love it. I marked the jars, and am looking forward to trying it. This year I have several herb plants that I am hoping survive the outdoors and I can bring in the house to use in the winter. I've been using my chives on potatoes and something else I can't remember, and I also put some in bun dough recently. I thought they would add a nice onion flavor to go with hamburgers or homemade soup. I had cilantro in pots and the flower bed, but it also volunteered in the garden from last year. I pulled one large plant earlier, and dried it. Its surprising how much you get from just one plant.
I did manage to finish my recipe cards. If you are in the recipe swap and want to be surprised when you get your envie, don't look. :) Abbie, Judy recommended your spaghetti sauce recipe so highly that I have made it ( have some in my freezer right now) and made a recipe page from it.
That's about it for me this morning. I may head over to Warren's parents' house today. They bought a condo in town recently, and will be moving in October. I'm going to go help her do some sorting and start packing for the move. Have a great day, everyone! We'd love to hear from you.




This is great Dee Dee! :) Aren't they fun? So, here's something for you to check out to "embellish" your blog if you want... www.scrapblog.com or www.cutestblogontheblock.com have fun!! ~Abbie
ReplyDeleteThat picture is beautiful! I am enjoying reading your blog :)
ReplyDeleteYou tell Warren that is one awesome photo that he took. Can hardly believe it was on a cell phone at that. When you see a sunrise or sunset like that you have no doubt about God and his creation, do you?
ReplyDeleteLove your sharing of the recipe pages. I am looking forward to getting those in the upcoming months.